#5 Reflection on Lesson

Practice Lesson Presentation


     Throughout my time at Columbia College I can not count the number of lessons I have written. However, I have never used this format or used categories such as the Blooms Taxonomy, Research Based Instructional Strategies, Activity Groupings, or a section for Checks of Understanding.
Each of these categories was new to me and took me a while to decode and determine what to place in each box. For example, I had been introduced to Blooms Taxonomy previously, but I have never been asked to describe a lesson as one section of Blooms. It was interesting to take a step back and truly consider what exactly I was asking students to do within the lesson. I also felt this way about the instructional strategies section. As teachers, we often use resources such as books or the website to find lessons; however, I have never looked up the research behind each method. I simply take lessons or ideas as they are without diving into the why behind them. I also enjoyed considering the variety of groupings behind each lesson. Teaching kindergarten I want to be aware of not only how long I am asking students to sit but also where and how I am asking students to work. For my next lessons, I want to ensure I am using a condition in my objective as well as continuing to be thorough in each lesson.

Comments

  1. These were some great insights. The research behind the way a lesson works is why I do not use what I call boxed lessons. This does not mean that I will not pull a resource from one. But in the end I want to know that my students will benefit from the lesson. I want to know that what I am using is researched and sound. I also want to know that they modifications or extensions that I might use will be the right ones for my students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way I keep forgetting to add my name- Rebekah Hedgepath

      Delete
  2. You always have the best insights. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#3 Teaching Vocabulary